[MlMt] Signature placement

Tom Worster fsb at thefsb.org
Thu Nov 17 08:34:07 EST 2016

I am baffled by MailMate's behavior wrt signatures. What am I doing
wrong?

First, if Preferences:Signatures:Default signature placement is set to
"Top" then, when I reply to an email, the signature is inserted at the
bottom of the reply, below the quoted text. The behavior is the same if
it is set to "Bottom", except that this is [less astonishing](Principle
of least astonishment).

I need to top-reply in most of my correspondences because this is what
people expect. And I need my signature to be immediately below my reply
and above the quoted text. For now, I copy-paste the signature that
MailMate inserts at the bottom of the email to the top and then compose
my reply.

Second, how do I defeat automatic insertion of a signature?

Third, I use signatures as a convenient way to insert various
boilerplate texts. But when I insert a signature using the composer's
toolbar, I always get a warning about discarding HTML. What's this
about?

Finally, I don't understand what is the "HTML Variant" or how it works.

What would suit me is very simple:

1. An option to not insert a signature by default.
2. When I insert a signature using the composer's toolbar menu, MailMate
inserts it
     - at my carat, wherever that may be, and
     - simply as a plain-text string. Regardless if I am composing in
markdown or not, just insert the characters in the signature string as
though I had typed them or copy-pasted them from a text-editor.

Unless I'm doing something wrong, I will need to add something like
[Paste](http://pasteapp.me/) to MailMate to transition from Outlook.

Tom