[MlMt] Mailmate using wrong network card

Fabian Blechschmidt lists-freron-com at fabian-blechschmidt.de
Fri Nov 4 18:11:38 EDT 2016

Hi Bill,

sorry for the late answer, I haven't forgotten you and I'm very happy
for the answer. Unfortunately I wasn't at the customer again to check
out the tipps!

I'll tell you after checking out.

Wish you the best
Fabian

On 21 Oct 2016, at 19:31, Bill Cole wrote:

> On 19 Oct 2016, at 4:28, Fabian Blechschmidt wrote:
>
>> Good morning everyone,
>>
>> I have the problem, that mail mate tries to use my virtual network
>> card, therefore having a wrong IP address when trying to access a
>> mail server, which blocks the connection (or the packet doesn't even
>> reach it)
>>
>> I have Parallels and VirtualBox installed. Both using a couple of IP
>> ranges to do their stuff. Neither of them is using 19.2.168.42.*
>>
>> My routing table - if I interpret that correctly, says, that
>> connections to 192.168.42.146 (which is the mail server), should rund
>> through default connection.
>
> No, it says (in part) this:
>
>> default            192.168.42.254     UGSc          777        0
>> en0
>> 169.254            link#4             UCS             1        0
>> en0
>> 192.168.42         link#4             UCS            30        0
>> en0
>> 192.168.42.146/32  link#4             UCS             1        0
>> en0
>> 192.168.42.254/32  link#4             UCS             2        0
>> en0
>> 192.168.42.254     0:e:38:38:ed:ff    UHLWIir       778       92
>> en0   1196
>> 192.168.42.255     link#4             UHLWbI          1      425
>> en0
>
> Which, at first glance, suggests that 192.168.42.146 is an IP address
> assigned to your physical ethernet interface: a LOCAL address.
> However, for that I would expect to see a host route for that IP via
> lo0 with the flags "UHLWIi", which isn't present. Yet, the only other
> "UCS" route for a /32 net is for your default gateway, clearly a
> working device with a Cisco MAC address. I'm a bit confused as to what
> is going on here, but I don't think this can be a working config.
>
> What address do you think your Ethernet interface should have?

en0 is my cable lan device. This is what I meant with default. Default
device, not route. So en0 is the normal card, with a normal cable on a
"normal" internet ISP router, so should have public DNS, and just access
to internet.

>> I understand, that with the domain "my.customer.ads" we don't know
>> yet which IP address the server has. I assume (but might be wrong
>> here) that we than simply use the default route and change the device
>> if needed after resolving the domain.
>
> I am unable to parse that paragraph. I'm sure whatever you mean is
> important to your interpretation of this problem, but it does not
> makes sense in English.
>
> Side issue: note that "my.customer.ads" has MX and A records in public
> DNS, but they are bogus. The .ads gTLD is a Google project and no real
> domains exist under it yet. I think you are using that name as a
> placeholder here, but maybe not.
>
>> So in short: Whatever happens inside of MailMate leads to a wrong
>> network device to be used when contacting the server.
>
> This is extraordinarily unlikely. It is technically possible for an
> application to specify what address and/or interface it uses for a
> specific connection, but for a client like MailMate there is
> absolutely no reason to do so. Normal client app behavior when setting
> up a TCP connection is to ask the OS to resolve a name to an IP
> address then ask the OS to open a connection to that IP address on a
> specific port. The OS typically determines the best local IP,
> ephemeral local port, and routing for a connection, NOT the app.
>
>> Any idea what to do or how to debug? Tell me if I can help. I assume
>> I'm here until friday.
>
> Fix your network config. If it does not seem wrong to you, the output
> of these two commands might help illuminate what's going on:
>
> networksetup -getinfo Ethernet
>
> ifconfig -av

Fabian Blechschmidt
Tel: +49 30 419 932 55