[MlMt] A Few Questions/Suggestions

Claire Connelly cmc at math.hmc.edu
Wed Nov 2 19:54:24 EDT 2016

On 2 Nov 2016, at 9:46, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 1 Nov 2016, at 20:37, Claire Connelly wrote:

[correspondents field]

This is cool, although it's not quite the same, as it includes other
recipients.  But it works for now!  (Thanks, Bob!)

[aliases]

> Something like this is supported via Contacts. If a contact has a
> nickname then this is also searched when looking for completions, but
> it's not included in the generated name/email address.

Aha—that works, too, even for groups, although it means you need to
set up fake contacts for things that aren't people or groups of
contacts.  (Nmh, of course, just has a text file.)

[variables]

> No, but I certainly agree that the learning curve is too steep. It's
> an interesting idea to offer displaying all possible parsed values of
> the headers of a given message. I'll give that some thought.

I think that would be a really useful feature, if it's not too hard to
code.

[documentation]

>> Related to that, it would be nice to have better documentation for
>> the mailbox name format options for submailboxes—I did find some
>> mailing list messages covering these, but it would be easier if they
>> were in the actual documentation.
>
> Noted.

[templates]

> If I understand correctly then I guess you should have duplicated the
> draft instead (most easily done by doing copy/paste, that is, hitting
> ⌘C followed by ⌘V).

Oh, wow, that totally works.  I looked in the right-click menu and
didn't see anything that would do the trick, and it never occurred to me
to just try ⌘C/⌘V.

> Undocumented and maybe only used by me, MailMate does have some
> support for creating a draft with some template values inserted in the
> body. Combined with a bundle command this can be used to auto-generate
> emails based on some source to fill in the templated values. It's
> probably a bit too low level for your use case. It's also possible to
> autogenerate replies, but again, this is undocumented (and possibly
> also incomplete since I'm likely the only one using it at this point).

For this particular use case, yes, that's too low level.  In the past
when I've had to send a whole bunch of prefilled messages I've used a
script to generate them and either copied them into my +drafts folder
and sent them from there, created content in temporary files and used
`mail` to send them, or created `mailto:` links with the contents.  So
maybe that would be useful after all, although I think I can do what I
need with emate.

Anyway, thanks!  It's been a bit of a learning curve, but after
twenty-five years of using MH, I think I'm adapting pretty quickly.

    Claire

Claire Connelly                              cmc at math.hmc.edu
System Administrator                           (909) 621-8754
Department of Mathematics                 Harvey Mudd College

Send problem reports or requests to request at math.hmc.edu.
For System News: http://twitter.com/hmcmathcomp/.