[MlMt] A Few Questions/Suggestions

Claire Connelly cmc at math.hmc.edu
Tue Nov 1 15:37:16 EDT 2016

Hi, all,

I'm moving from nmh and mh-e to MailMate, and I think I'm finally
getting a handle on things (in particular, I now have smart mailboxes
that give me views of subsets of my mail similar to what I had (and
better) while still allowing me to sort messages into separate mailboxes
with procmail).

There are a few things that I think would be really useful that MailMate
doesn't currently support (or that it supports but I haven't found yet).

First, nmh and mh-e have some nice features that I haven't seen
elsewhere that I think are really handy.  (Enough so that lack of them
has stopped me from moving away from nmh for many years.)

* nmh has a cool way of handling to to/from fields when you're looking
at lists of messages.  Instead of showing them as separate columns, it
has one column that shows you who a message is from _unless the message
is from you_, in which case it shows who you sent the message to.

  The `scan(1)` format code for that is

         %<(mymbox{from})%<{to}To:%14(friendly{to})%>%>

  and gives you something like

         % scan
         1  mary at hahvahd.edu   rcvtty -- how do I use it?<<I've been
         2  Al Bok             Query about "repl -query"<<I have a q
         3  "Wilbur, Orville"  X Terminal Presentation/Demonstration
         4  To:"Wilbur, Orvil  Re: X Terminal Presentation/Demonstra

  (from http://rand-mh.sourceforge.net/book/mh/morsca.html#sca; format
string definitions at
http://rand-mh.sourceforge.net/book/mh/mhstr.html).

  Thus one address field can do the work of both the To and From fields.

* nmh also allows you to define arbitrary "aliases" for sending mail;
allowing you to use whatever name you choose for a recipient (they see
the defined value, not the alias), set up your own mailing lists, and so
on.  Thus I could send to "andy" instead of having to type out "Andre"
and look through possible completions.  Being able to see the
completions is great, of course, but if you send mail to people all the
time it's nice to be able to use your own alias for them.  (As a bonus,
you also get to choose a canonical address for them, instead of having
to pick from multiple addresses they might have used to mail you.)

In the "not inspired by nmh features" category, I found that it took me
quite a while to figure out how some of the filters worked, in part
because there are tons of variables and figuring out what they were for
any given message involved a lot of trial and error.  Is there any way
of showing a "debug panel" that gives you the values of all the
variables for a particular message?

Related to that, it would be nice to have better documentation for the
mailbox name format options for submailboxes—I did find some mailing
list messages covering these, but it would be easier if they were in the
actual documentation.

Finally (!), earlier today, I had to send out a bunch of messages that
were basically the same except for a URL and the To address.  I tried
saving a message draft and then editing the draft message, but the
message went away when I sent the message (as I'd kind of expected).  I
ended up copying one of the messages I'd sent to a new IMAP folder, then
editing the message file on the server to remove the extra material.
That seems to work—I can now go to that folder, select a message, and
choose Edit as New Message, but it would be easier if you could
deliberately save a message as boilerplate without having to edit it on
the server.  (One of the issues I found was that when editing the
message, it appeared to have my signature as expected, but when I sent
the message, MailMate added another copy of the signature on the end.
So I edited the saved message and removed the signature bits from it.)

Thanks for creating a mail client that almost makes me happy about
dealing with IMAP mail!  It's better than mh-e for almost all the things
I have to do in almost every way, but just a couple of changes would
make it even better for what I do!

    Claire

Claire Connelly                              cmc at math.hmc.edu
System Administrator                           (909) 621-8754
Department of Mathematics                 Harvey Mudd College

Send problem reports or requests to request at math.hmc.edu.
For System News: http://twitter.com/hmcmathcomp/.