[MlMt] Bounties

Sat May 28 09:05:52 EDT 2016

On 27 May 2016, at 5:43, Kee Hinckley wrote:

> First of all, I just want to say that Benny is amazing. [...]

Thanks for the praise. I'm not sure I fully deserve it (looking at the
number of unanswered emails and open issues), but it's certainly
appreciated.

> [...] Benny is making his living doing a really hard thing; writing an
> application that competes with something that's available for free.
> MailMate will always be a niche application targeted at hardcore mail
> users, [...]

This is very accurate.

> Thirdly, I want to put out a bounty for the one feature I'm missing.
> I'll pitch in an additional $100 when MailMate supports sorting
> threaded messages sorted by the most recent item in the thread.

Hmm, this is how it's already supposed to work. It's a bit hardcoded
though and maybe something makes it fail in your case. Do you use the
default “Date Received” column?

> [...] And I encourage Benny to set up a way for people to vote for
> feature with their wallet. [...]

It's nice if people are willing to pay for a specific feature, but I
cannot really make a living of that. The price of a feature would have
to be more than most people would be able to pay. I also see a myriad of
other potential problems :-) I'm probably also getting closer to a point
where fixing/improving existing features is going to be more important
than adding new (major) features. This is an important subject though
(for me) since the lack of major new features are going to make it hard
to do 3.0, 4.0, 5.0 feature releases — and 2.0 is free for all 1.x
license key owners (at least those bought after October, 2013). I've
already proven that I'm not very good at bumping version numbers :)
Essentially, license keys bought by new users are currently the only
potential revenue (except when users do like you have done). I'm
considering how to best move forward, but let me just assure existing
users that I have no plans to stop developing MailMate.