[MlMt] installing on 2nd computer

Steven M. Bellovin smb at cs.columbia.edu
Sat May 14 09:30:58 EDT 2016

Let me add one caveat:

> The two installations should not butt up against each other or have
> conflicts. You can install any number of different IMAP clients on any
> number of computers with no problem, since the canonical home for your
> email is in the cloud. That's how IMAP works and why it was developed.

I've found that it's a bad idea to have multiple machines running
simultaneously with rules that sort and categorize incoming messages.
What I do is have all of the rules on one machine; ditto SpamSieve.  For
me, what works best is SpamSieve on my always-on desktop, but sorting
rules on my laptop.  Why the split?  Spam I never want to see, so I
always want to get rid of it quickly.  But important mail I want to see
immediately on my phone, so when I'm not using my laptop I'll be alerted
to inbound mail.  (I also use server-side rules for less-important
mailboxes that I'd never want to look at on the phone, but that's a
separate story.)