[MlMt] Auto-tagging of incoming mail

Sat Mar 19 18:35:06 EDT 2016

On 17 Mar 2016, at 21:40, Kee Hinckley wrote:

> 1. I'd like an interface where it would be quick to add a bunch of
> rules for things. Right now I quit mailmate and edit the file. For
> instance, I want a whole set of rules for incoming mail that look like
> "if subject has word xxx then tag the message yyy".

Hmm, I'm not sure how such an interface should work. Do you simply want
to be able to edit the rules of a mailbox in a text editor? (Similar to
what you do now, but without the need for a relaunch)?

> 2. I'd like a feature that I think would be generally useful. If I tag
> a message (either incoming, or a reply) with one or more tags, I'd
> like all all future messages that arrive in that thread to be tagged
> that way too. (Yes, that gets complicated if one message has taga and
> one has tagb, but the union of all would cover it).

I have an old todo item that each tag should have a setting which tells
MailMate whether it's a message-based tag or a thread-based tag. The
latter type would work as you describe I believe.

Using rules you could also get what you want, but you would need a new
rule for each tag which might be cumbersome...