[MlMt] Missing messages from gmail server

Thu Mar 3 03:05:06 EST 2016

On 3 Mar 2016, at 7:30, Harvey Leff wrote:

> I have a gmail account for which some messages seemed to disappear
> from MailMate; i.e., when I searched for them, they were no longer
> there.
>
> However, when I logged into gmail via the web, the messages DID show
> on the gmail server. So I then used the Rebuild Database Terminal
> command
>
> 	rm ~/Library/Application\ Support/MailMate/*.tmp printf "OldDatabase"
> > ~/Library/Application\ Support/MailMate/.rebuild.tmp
>
> to re-sync the entire database. After the rebuild, the  messages that
> were missing initially STILL were not in MailMate.

Just a general off topic remark here for the mailing list: I would
prefer that users do *not* rebuild the database manually. It'll most
often not make a difference and if it does make a difference then I can
no longer debug the issue.

> Some numbers for comparison:
>
> Gmail server:
> 	All Mail 91411
> 	Sent 3899
> MailMate:
> 	All Messages 8210
> 	Sent Messages 4854
>
> Any ideas on why such (large) differences should exist and how this
> can be rectified?

By default, MailMate does *not* synchronize the “[Gmail]/All Mail”
mailbox. Some users prefer this and it's better to let it be opt-in than
opt-out (at least for now). It's also a tricky mailbox to synchronize
since it's at the center of everything non-standard about Gmail.
Resource on the subject
[here](https://manual.mailmate-app.com/account_setup#gmail) and
[here](https://blog.freron.com/2013/mavericks-gmail-apple-mail-and-mailmate/).

MailMate should be able to handle it quite well now, but I don't make
any guarantees. Gimap (Gmail IMAP) is non-standard and undocumented and
a potentially moving target.

You can enable the “[Gmail]/All Mail” mailbox via “Edit
Subscriptions” in the IMAP Account editor in MailMate (see the File
menu). Don't enable any of the other mailboxes disabled by default.

Since you have a somewhat large Gmail account then it might take a long
time to synchronize. You might even have your connections throttled by
Google.

Now, there should not be a difference in sent messages. We should
probably look into that. First make sure that you are not counting
threads instead of messages in the Gmail web interface (which I think it
does by default).