[MlMt] MailMate so slow it locks up

Fri Jun 17 10:58:28 EDT 2016

On 16 Jun 2016, at 12:56, Alex Bligh wrote:

>> On 15 Jun 2016, at 22:36, Benny Kjær Nielsen
>> <mailinglist at freron.com> wrote:
>>
>> In addition to that, every header of every email is indexed.
>
> I believe the same is true in Mail.app and Thunderbird; Mail.app (at
> least) also indexes the bodies.

No, it's not. Mail.app (and probably Thunderbird) indexes the most
important headers of the messages. MailMate really indexes all headers
of all body parts of all messages including the often numerous Received
headers. Some optional behavior might help here.

> Elsewhere on a list populated by Mac users with large mail spools,
> there seems to be a binary split between people who've got Mailmate to
> work with an enormous number of messages, and those who haven't. This
> split is not based on spool size. Most of them have (hence I got a
> recommendation to use it). It may be that I'm doing something wrong.

No, it's most likely that MailMate is sensitive to some set of
conditions (fast/slow connection, number of messages, number of
mailboxes, types of emails, etc.).

> I think one thing that is problematic and is possibly easy to fix is
> simply that when downloading it does not 'yield' to the UI often
> enough. I would care less about the high CPU if the GUI would redraw.
> Oh, and also if I could see what it was actually doing and how far it
> was through. I tried the activity window but it appears to show IMAP
> instructions without showing which mailboxes it is syncing.

Yes, the Activity Viewer is very primitive. Note that if you click on a
connection then the log of the connection is shown in the lower part of
the window.

> However, I can't get the subscription thing to work 'before adding the
> account'. I have set up the subscription correctly (checked with both
> Thunderbird and WebMail), and when I import the account into MailMate,
> it prefers its idea of local subscriptions to server side
> subscriptions. There is an option at the bottom of the subscriptions
> dialog I have to switch off in order for it to show the server side
> subscription list ungreyed. By that time it has already started
> downloading things. I don't know if this is part of the issue.

MailMate has to ignore server-side subscription states by default,
because many users have unsubscribed mailboxes without knowing it. I had
to make it an opt-in feature. But note that the “Edit Subscriptions”
button can be used before adding the account. (If this doesn't work then
it's a bug.)

You are welcome to contact me off list. I have a beta which should be a
bit faster for the initial import. You could also help me with some
sample reports when MailMate burns CPU, but I cannot promise you to make
improvements soon.