[MlMt] MailMate so slow it locks up

Patrik Fältström paf at frobbit.se
Fri Jun 17 02:00:54 EDT 2016

On 16 Jun 2016, at 14:54, Alex Bligh wrote:

> That would imply MM was waiting in a busy loop. I can get a 70Mb/s TCP connection to the server, so I doubt this is the issue. Also I've (admittedly not for a few months now) done resyncs of Mail.app over the same connection, and it's been pretty fast (a few hours).

The only really large differences I see between MM and other IMAP clients like Mail.App is that it starts up slower (and otherwise when it have to clean up its indices etc) and that it uses huge amount of memory.

In fact, memory seems to be much more important for MM than other parameters.

And then as for other clients it is not so much the bandwidth to the IMAP server that is important but the actual time it takes for a roundtrip and the number of IMAP commands it can get out of the IMAP server per time unit.

I have just above 2M messages in three accounts, and the roundtrip time to the IMAP server REALLY matters.

   Patrik