[MlMt] searching with the Message Outline contextual menu

Shoshanna Green shoshannag at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 11:57:31 EDT 2016

I love that I can right-click on a message in the Message Outline and
find messages related to it. However, I'd like to be able to add an
option to the contextual menu that appears.

In Message Outline view, I display a "Correspondents" column rather than
a "From" or "To" column, because I find it more useful. But some of the
people I correspond with may have different names or forms of their name
attached to the same email address at various times or in various
contexts; that is, they may appear in the message header as any of, say,
	Mary Sue Writer <marysue at example.com>
  	Mary Writer <marysue at example.com>
	Mary Sue <marysue at example.com>
	fun-pseudonym <marysue at example.com>
	marysue at example.com

I don't mind the different forms of name (or even bare email address)
appearing in the Correspondents column, because I know that they're all
the same person. But when I right-click on the Correspondent column of a
message from "Mary Sue Writer <marysue at example.com>", wishing to find
other messages with this person as correspondent, the Find Messages
submenu offers me only the option to find "correspondent Mary Sue
Writer." This will not pull up all the messages I've exchanged with her,
only the ones in which that form of her name happens to appear.

The contextual menu does offer the option to search for messages "to
marysue at example.com," but not "correspondent marysue at example.com." I'd
like to be able to search on the email address, which is invariant,
rather than on the name, which varies.

(I have preferences set so that double-clicking a message opens it in a
separate window, and therefore shift-double-clicking it searches for
does indeed open a search for messages using that correspondent's email
address, as I want, BUT ONLY IF the original message is from that
person, not to them. (Shift-double-clicking a message I sent does
nothing.) Also, shift-double-clicking is more troublesome than
right-clicking; aside from having to use both the keyboard and the
mouse, there's the problem that if an unrelated message happens to be
already selected, I have to single-click the message of interest first,
and then shift-double-click it, otherwise the first shift-click selects
the whole range between the two messages.)

It's a small thing, but it would make me happy to find a quick and easy
way to do these searches...?

Shoshanna Green
shoshannag at gmail.com