[MlMt] will MailMate be a good mail mate for me?

Fredrik Jonsson frjo at xdeb.org
Fri Jun 10 00:16:28 EDT 2016

Robert Brenstein 2016-06-10 9:24 wrote:

> I suspect that there are a number of ex-Eudora users here.

I'm sure there are a number of them, I myself used Eudora for 15 years.

Eudora was good for its time, MailMate is truly excellent. Killer
features for me are smart folders and custom keybindings.

> So, will MailMate be a good mail client for me?

If you are willing to take advantage of IMAP, smart folders etc. and
spend time to find out all the cool stuff Mail Mate can do it should
work beautifully for you.

If you want to exactly mimic your current way of handling e-mail I don't
think you will find anything that works well.

> IMAP offers no true benefit for me

You really should switch to IMAP regardless of if you pick MailMate.
Even if you don't need to access mail on multiple devices (yet) IMAP
have other advantages.

* All your mail are in at least two places, IMAP-server and mail client.
* Makes it easy to switch mail client, no need to migrate mails.

You will need to get an e-mail provider with enough space for all your
mail if you don't have one already.

> All incoming messages are sorted out by filters into close to 300
> mailboxes. What is left in the inbox is some junk that sneaked thru
> spam filters and a few misc messages.

I used to sort mails in many real folders with many rules. With MailMate
I just dump everything in Archive after handling it (manually or via
rules). I then use MailMates smart folders (really smart) to organise
them to my liking. Smart folders are really saved searches but they feel
just like folders.

The big advantage with smart folders for me are that mail can be in
multiple folders at the same time. It's also quick and easy to
reorganise since you just change some searches and there are no need to
actually move mail around.

> It seems that MailMate does not support local mailboxes, that is
> having mail copied off the server to my computer.

All mail will be on the IMAP-server *and* a copy will be in MailMate (or
most other IMAP clients you use).

When you search etc. MailMate can do all that locally and it's really
fast even with huge mail volumes.

Fredrik