[MlMt] Controlling where sent messages that are NOT replies get saved

Sam Hathaway list.mailmate at munkynet.org
Sun Jan 31 12:45:08 EST 2016

On 31 Jan 2016, at 3:21 AM EST, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 30 Jan 2016, at 17:50, Sam Hathaway wrote:
>
>> My remaining problem is:
>>
>> * When I compose a new message and send it, the sent message gets
>> saved to my “Sent” folder.
>>
>> * I tried to fix this by giving each account’s INBOX the Mailbox
>> Type “Sent Messages”. But when I do that, MailMate forces the
>> message list for each INBOX to show the “To” column, and I
>> can’t uncheck that column.
>
> I don't really know if setting the INBOX to be “Sent Messages”
> works, but you can get rid of the To column by changing which column
> is the Outline column (the column with the triangles when threading).

Benny,

Thanks for your prompt response as always!

I just tried this, and it doesn’t seem to work. It looks like if a
mailbox is set to “Sent Messages” mode, it reverts to a different
sent-messages column setup any time I select it.

--> Steps to replicate:
1. Set INBOX as Mailbox Type “Sent Messages”.
2. Enable the “From” column.
3. Set the Outline Column to “From”.
4. Disable the “To” column.
5. Switch to another mailbox.
6. Switch back to the INBOX.
--> Expected Result:
“From” column is shown and is the Outline Column; “To” column is
not shown.
--> Actual Result:
“From” column is not shown; “To” column is shown and is the
Outline Column.

> I guess this is the proper solution to this problem, but in theory
> MailMate does not currently support assigning multiple types to a
> single IMAP mailbox. The INBOX is kind of a special case though and it
> seems to kind of work for you.

I think for now I’m going to set up a rule for the “Sent” folder
of each account to move any messages that end up there into the INBOX of
the corresponding account. This doesn’t seem elegant to me, but it
gets the job done.

>> * I also considered using MmSentMailbox, but that appears to be a
>> global setting (not a per-account setting) and I need sent messages
>> to go to the inbox of the account they were sent from.
>
> This setting only controls which messages are shown by the universal
> Sent Messages mailbox. For example, you could create a smart mailbox
> which only contains emails sent from you and then use that as
> `MmSentMailbox`.

Ah, OK, thanks for the clarification. I’ll do that.
-sam