[MlMt] Gmail: sent drafts are properly moved to Sent Messages

Fri Jan 15 08:44:01 EST 2016

On 14 Jan 2016, at 20:13, Comic Sans wrote:

> I've noticed this weird behavior with Gmail accounts, where saved
> draft is not properly moved to Sent Messages after it's been sent.
> After sending the saved draft, the message appears both in Drafts and
> Sent Messages mailboxes.
> If any of these is deleted, the other one is deleted too, so it
> appears it is the one and same message, somehow still appearing in
> Drafts mailbox.

Yes, Goggle never cared much about being IMAP compliant.

> This happens only with stored drafts, i.e. everything works correctly
> if I don't store the draft first, but send it immediately.

That's probably because in that case MailMate never uploads it to the
Drafts folder. Instead, it's uploaded directly to Sent Messages. (Which
is also some times a problem because Google also puts a copy in Sent
Messages -- which one survives is undocumented as far as I know.)

> Also, sometimes an error message appears, saying:
>
>> Failed to move message
>> Server response: “J38 NO [ALERT] Cannot MOVE messages out of the
>> Drafts folder (Failure)”. Command attempted: “J38 UID MOVE 4756
>> "[Gmail]/Sent Mail"”.
>> Tip: Open the Activity Viewer (⌥⌘0) before retrying. The IMAP log
>> file might provide additional information.

Recently I started using `IMAP MOVE` instead of `IMAP COPY` when
supported by the server. I actually thought this would mean fewer issues
with Gmail, but apparently I was wrong.

I can reproduce this. I'm guessing it doesn't happen to many users,
because they never store a draft and then reedit/send later. (Note that
MailMate doesn't upload a draft before the Composer window has been
closed.)

> In this case, retry never succeeds, it always fails the same.
> Also, after cancelling move, the message will not appear in Sent
> Messages, although it will be sent. It will only appear in the Drafts
> mailbox.

Confirmed.

> I've tried to search for this problem first, but nobody else seems to
> have reported it. Also tried to see if something is wrong in my setup,
> but everything seems to be configured as recommended and everything
> else works fine.

I think I have 1 other report, but some users probably think I'm
unwilling to work around this issue based of my comments on Gmail in the
past :-)

So, to be clear. I *am* willing to find a workaround. MailMate already
has hundreds of workarounds for Gmail and other IMAP servers — and my
general standpoint is: An IMAP server bug/limitation is also a MailMate
issue.

The problem is that I don't know yet how to best work around this issue.
Until I do I recommend not closing Composer windows with Gmail
messages... Or take the Drafts mailbox offline.