[MlMt] IMAP errors

Sun Feb 21 06:43:55 EST 2016

On 21 Feb 2016, at 1:48, Ralph Alvy wrote:

>> Today I keep getting this error:
>>
>> MailMate encountered the following error: “Failed to fetch data for
>> 1 messages.”.
>> Mailbox: “Sent”.
>> This indicates a server bug. You can tell MailMate to always ignore
>> messages involved in this type of error (for this account) or you can
>> temporarily ignore the messages with the following UIDs: “16600”.

This type of error is handled differently in the latest beta of
MailMate. It won't really fix it, but you shouldn't get the error
message. Instead MailMate replaces the email with a dummy message. Hold
down ⌥ when clicking “Check Now” in the Software Update
preferences to try this.

> I ended up telling MailMate to permanently ignore such errors. Other
> mail clients see that message, including MailMate on my other
> computer. It doesn't see it on this one. And other email clients see
> that message on this computer, like Mac Mail.

Apple Mail might work because it asks for the message in a different
way, but it's strange if it works in MailMate on another machine (if
it's the same revision).

> I even moved that message with another email client to a different
> folder to see if that would cause MailMate to see it. No luck.

If you hold down ⇧ when clicking “Retry” then a log file should be
generated on your Desktop. I'd like to see that to see exactly what the
server reply is.

> I later forced a MailMate index rebuild, and that didn't resolve it.

My general advice is never to do this unless I've explicitly suggested
it. For most types of problems it won't make a difference and it'll be a
waste of time/resources.

> Except, now MailMail takes a lot of time with its spinner, which used
> to result in that error message, but now it doesn't because I told it
> to stop issuing that message. Should I just uninstall MailMail and
> completely delete all its mail, and then reinstall?

No, you can change the “always ignore” setting by removing the line
with `ignoreFailedUIDs` from this file (when MailMate is not running):

	~/Library/Application
Support/MailMate/Messages/IMAP/<account>/State.plist

If the problem then returns then we can debug it.