[MlMt] What takes time at startup?

Vlad Ghitulescu Vlad at Ghitulescu.de
Mon Feb 8 05:14:09 EST 2016

Hi, Philip!

Thanks for the reply!

On 8 Feb 2016, at 10:49, Philip Paeps wrote:

> On 2016-02-08 05:50:12 (+0100), Vlad Ghitulescu <Vlad at Ghitulescu.de>
> wrote:
>> On 6 Feb 2016, at 21:49, Patrik Fältström wrote:
>>> 350k email messages is nothing.
>>>
>>> I have just below 2 million. 12k added each month, approximately.
>>
>> I am new to MailMate, so please bare with me and my slightly OT
>> question: why keeping so many email messages in MailMate (or any
>> other email app at all)?
>
> I can't speak for anyone else, only for myself.

That's also what I want to hear: I wanted to learn from people who think
different than myself regarding email. It must be a reson! ;-)

>> I still have all my email messages since 2002 but keep only a
>> relevant (and therefore *very small* and *constantly fresh*) subset
>> in my email app of choice (currently MailMate) and all the rest in
>> archives (external to the email app and servers and searchable via
>> Finder and/or an email archive app).
>
> My archives go back to the mid-nineties.  Since mail (generally)
> compresses well and (server) disk space kept getting cheaper, I
> decided a very long time ago that it's cheaper to keep everything than
> to regularly evaluate what's relevant.

How often do you use / read those mid-nineties email messages now?
I still have the email messages from 2002, but live doesn't stop :-) so
I didn't take a glance of them since ages!

>> Not using my email app as a task manager (and delegating this to a
>> dedicated task manager app) makes this easy too.
>
> I also use a dedicated task manager now (OmniFocus).

Me too.

>> I'm not pretending that my method is better and I also understand
>> that MailMate can graciously manage a huge amount of email - but why
>> keeping all this information there and not somewhere else, once it
>> not implying constantly replying / forwarding / etc.?
>
> The problem with "somewhere else" is getting to it.

This is something that I also treasure and the email-archives are always
there where I intensively do email (not on the iPhone - but that's ok
for me, I can wait till I get home).

Even more: the archives are there even whitout an internet connection.

> Simple connectivity is one thing, but also finding what I need.

See my previous message: MailSteward or HoudahSpot make that realy easy.

> These days, it's usually pretty easy to find an internet connection
> but MailMate's search features are a lot better than `find Maildir
> -type f -mtime foo -exec grep -i mumble {} +`.

Oh, that sound fun too :-)

> Philip

Thanks for the insights,
Vlad