[MlMt] How to set default "from" account?

Shoshanna Green shoshannag at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 17:54:35 EST 2016

On 28 Dec 2016, at 15:51, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 28 Dec 2016, at 21:00, Dave C wrote:
>
>> I’ve got several individual accounts at different mail service
>> providers. My goal is to avoid clicking Send without first selecting
>> the correct From account.
>
> There's no setting to help force the user to check the sending account
> before sending.

Benny is (of course) correct, Dave, but you could set up a message
verification (as described at
https://manual.mailmate-app.com/hidden_preferences) and have it trigger
for all messages. Of course, it won't help if you develop the habit of
automatically clicking OK to the alert, but it can at least pop up an
alert to remind you to check the address you're sending from.

Or you could create more targeted verification checks that trigger only
under certain conditions, when you're clearly sending from the wrong
account. For simple cases you can just list the explicit conditions in
the messageVerifications.plist file (if "TO=boss" and
"FROM=wizard-elf-lord-of-Saurons-kittens" then warn "Yikes!"), but for
checks involving groups of addresses ("never use email account A to
write to anyone in group X"; "never use email account B to write to
anyone who isn't in group Y") you may want to check out a long email
thread on this mailing list under the subject line "check whether a
recipient is in a certain group?" I started it as I worked out (with
Benny's invaluable help) how to do just that, and the method he helped
me develop has saved my bacon several times. (To summarize, though this
may look like gibberish until you're read the manual on hidden
preferences: The condition

"(from ~[c] 'problematic.address at example.com' and #recipient.address
!=[c]
$'imap://problematic.address@imap.example.com/list-of-addresses'.#recipient.address)"

triggers when a message is about to be sent from
"problematic.address at example.com" to any address that is not in the TO
line of a dummy draft message in an IMAP folder titled
"list-of-addresses" in the problematic.address account. Keeping a list
of approved addresses in that dummy draft message thus ensures that I
will never accidentally write to anyone from that problematic.address
who isn't on the approved list to receive email from it.)

Shoshanna Green
shoshannag at gmail.com