[MlMt] Missing older mails from GMail

Robert M. Münch robert.muench at saphirion.com
Thu Dec 22 16:10:26 EST 2016

On 22 Dec 2016, at 20:06, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> Don't worry about the latter. It's almost an implementation detail which I probably should never have exposed. Some users rely on it though. It does allow creating smart mailboxes which only show subparts of other emails, e.g., a mailbox of PDF message parts, but it's not as flexible/robust as I originally intended it to be.

Hi Benny, Ok, I see.

> What you are missing is the “[Gmail]/All Mail” folder which is not subscribed by default (see “Edit Subscriptions” in the IMAP account editor).

Ah, I read the "/All Mail" part and that it's not subscribed.

> But MailMate tries to be smart about it and detect such duplicates. At least in theory MailMate should
> only fetch messages in “All Mail” which are not found in any other mailboxes.

Ok.

> The problem is that this is not very efficient and if you don't really need these emails then it's better to keep the mailbox unsubscribed. It can also be a bit fragile, because Google might change how the (undocumented) details work in the future.

Got it... IIRC I saw other mail clients running nuts with my Gmail account and always wondered what the problem is. This might have been the cause.

One idea: Since I expect I can't search these "not fetched" messages at the moment, it's a bit hard to remember to search my old mails as well. How about having a feature that does a live-search against this folder so I at least can see if there is something in it?

--

Robert M. Münch, CEO
M: +41 79 65 11 49 6

Saphirion AG