[MlMt] Missing older mails from GMail

Thu Dec 22 14:06:02 EST 2016

On 21 Dec 2016, at 20:18, Robert M. Münch wrote:

> Hi, I have connected MM to my GMail account. There I have about
> 120.000 messages. MM has about 42.000 in "All Messages" and about
> 117.000 in "All Messages Subparts" (BTW what is this?)

Don't worry about the latter. It's almost an implementation detail which
I probably should never have exposed. Some users rely on it though. It
does allow creating smart mailboxes which only show subparts of other
emails, e.g., a mailbox of PDF message parts, but it's not as
flexible/robust as I originally intended it to be.

> So, how do I get MM to read all Gmail messages? Is there a way to
> check that everything was downloaded?

What you are missing is the “[Gmail]/All Mail” folder which is not
subscribed by default (see “Edit Subscriptions” in the IMAP account
editor). This is a special Gmail mailbox which is similar to the “All
Messages” mailbox in MailMate. The problem is that it's not a smart
folder and if MailMate naively fetches all of its contents then you are
most likely going to see a lot of duplicates, e.g., any INBOX message is
also in “All Mail”.

But MailMate tries to be smart about it and detect such duplicates. At
least in theory MailMate should only fetch messages in “All Mail”
which are not found in any other mailboxes. The problem is that this is
not very efficient and if you don't really need these emails then it's
better to keep the mailbox unsubscribed. It can also be a bit fragile,
because Google might change how the (undocumented) details work in the
future.