[MlMt] Flagged count mismatch across computers

Thu Dec 1 09:18:27 EST 2016

On 30 Nov 2016, at 15:36, Mark Scott wrote:

> I have MM installed on a desktop MacPro with SpamSieve and on a laptop
> in the drone config. One iCloud and two Gmail accounts are setup
> identically on both. The desktop shows a higher number of flagged
> messages than the laptop. The higher count is due to multiple copies
> of the same messages on the desktop. If I delete one of the dupes, it
> removes all copies of the same message. Can you explain or help?

If it's the Gmail account(s) then it might be related to whether or not
you have “[Gmail]/All Mail” subscribed (in the IMAP accounts
editor). This is a special folder which Gmail uses to store (almost) all
emails in an account. Deleting it here could also delete it from other
folders since Gmail has a non-standard no-duplicates IMAP policy.

That's probably confusing.

 From the perspective of Gmail: A message can only exist in 1 folder,
but it might have multiple labels.

 From the perspective of an IMAP email client: The same message can
appear in multiple folders because Gmail uses IMAP folders to represent
labels, but if the email client moves 1 one of them to the trash folder
then the duplicates in other mailboxes might also disappear since Gmail
considers them to be the same as the one moved to the trash folder.

I hope that helped a bit.