[MlMt] Devonthink

Roger Bohn r2newslet at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 16:20:50 EDT 2016

One last comment/warning about Devonthink versus EagleFiler.

I use both programs, but I love EagleFiler and I still love/hate
Devonthink. The learning period is quite long, because of its complexity
and because of a poorly defined interface. For example a key feature is
“See Also and Classify.” This can be invoked in two ways. The main
way is a tiny icon, which is the 10th out of 12 tiny icons in a row in
the middle of the DT window. The second way is that it is the 25th (out
of about 30) item in one of the menus.

I now know what to do and this does not slow me down. But there are
plenty of other useful commands that I still have not figured out. In
short, the investment in Devonthink is not just in $.

(On the other hand, we all use MailMate which has a similarly weak
interface. For example, the all-important “-“ command is a tiny
icon, and AFAIK has no keyboard equivalent. Look up Fitt’s Law for why
that is a poor idea. So the obscureness of DT’s interface should not
stop anyone.)

On 26 Aug 2016, at 4:00, Jan Erik Moström wrote:

> On 26 Aug 2016, at 4:32, Roger Bohn wrote:
>
>> Devonthink is overkill - it has a lot of document management
>> capabilities that are not needed. (And the price reflects it.)
>> Managing PDFs, taking notes and excerpts from them, linking among
>> documents, built-in OCR, and on and on.
>
> It's all a matter of what perspective you have. For mail archiving
> only, sure ... but if you want a place to store information in general
> it's one of the best apps around.
>
> Price, initial buy yes, but the upgrade fees has been pretty widely
> spaced ... I've probably had DT for 10-20 years (I have no idea) and
> think I've payed for upgrade once or twice.
>
> = jem

Prof. Roger Bohn
Professor, School of Global Policy and Strategy
UC San Diego
+1 858 381-2015 cell/text  Blog: Art2science.org