[MlMt] Devonthink

Ted Byfield tedbyfield at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 11:27:17 EDT 2016

<http://www.devontechnologies.com/products/devonthink/overview.html>

It's great. In principle I prefer the most minimal approach possible —
.txt files, file system, open standards, etc — but in practice I've
found that the search tools in Devonthink, as they say, make a
difference that makes a difference. In particular, the ability to easily
slurp down resources from the web with a one-click extension/add-on is
very useful. I've been using it for many years (close to ten?!) and have
*never* had any problems with reliability or compatibility, which is
really impressive. In that time, the devs have struck me as very
generous in their approach to paid upgrades. DEVONagent is also
remarkable, although I've never fully adjusted to a special-purpose
browser for research.

One downside is that it's a bit expensive by current standards. If
you're thinking about buying it, it's worth considering a Tibits
membership, which — aside from supporting a pillar of the Mac indy
software community — includes a big discount on Devon's software,
among with many others:

	https://tidbits.com/member_benefits.html

As for Devonthink vs Evernote, I couldn't say, YMMV, and this isn't the
place.

My apologies if these seem like inappropriate commercial plugs. Maybe
it'll be more on-topic if I say the Devon devs are on par with Benny?
🌞

Cheers,