[MlMt] mailmate on the dock

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Mon Aug 15 15:01:45 EDT 2016

On 15 Aug 2016, at 9:40, Robert Brenstein wrote:

> At first glance, it looks like the script that does the upgrade failed
> to remove the old icon from the dock.

That's not how it works. Apps (and their installers) don't manage their
own icons in the Dock.

The icon you see in the Dock is determined by Launch Services, a Mac OS
X subsystem that keeps track of file types and associated "kind"
strings, icons, URL scheme associations (and probably other details that
are slipping my mind...) for all apps. Launch Services is essentially
the MacOS X replacement for the Finder's "desktop" files in classic
MacOS. It has difficulties with edge cases like the existence of
multiple versions of an app in different places that both are
represented in metadata (Spotlight) indices. The most an app installer
can do is explicitly tell LS to register an app that it has just
installed, however it sometimes seems like LS doesn't do as it is told.
If I knew why this was, I'd be sending my resume to Apple because no one
there has been able to work it out for about a decade...