[MlMt] Modifying bundle key shortcuts

Sherif Soliman sherif at ssoliman.com
Fri Aug 5 11:43:34 EDT 2016

On 4 Aug 2016, at 0:16, Jon Nall wrote:

> Hi,
> For the bundles shipped with Mailmate, what's the best practice to
> customize them? I'd like to modify the keyboard shortcut and (maybe)
> tweak the action as well.
>
> Should I just edit them in place? Copy them somewhere user-specific?
>
> Thanks,
> nall.

Re: modifying keyboard shortcuts.

I think the best way to do that is to use OS X's built-in feature to
override the keyboard shortcut for any menu item.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/create-keyboard-shortcut-mac-menu-item/

I tested it with one of the bundle commands that already had a shortcut,
and the change worked.

The benefit of this solution is that it avoids the hassle of having to
make copies of bundles and edit their internals, and that you won't have
to do this every time a bundle gets updated.

As for modifying their actions, I can't advise on that - you could edit
them in place, and my guess is that MailMate will write over the old
files when the bundle is updated, but I'm not sure.

Sherif