[MlMt] lack of focus

Billy Youdelman billy at MIX.ORG
Sun Apr 10 16:39:58 EDT 2016

Kee Hinckley wrote about input focus:

> Ditto. You have to go click elsewhere and then come back. Very
> annoying. And I'm pretty sure it's not just MailMate.

Yes, it could be anything.  A couple examples (please pardon what may be
too much information, heh) -

I can be reading email with MailMate, and input focus is on it.  Safari
is also open.  I see something in an email that leads me to click on a
link in Safari's currently open web page.  I do, and another web page is
opened.  I can then scroll through that web page with the trackpad
(bearing in mind that the mouse cursor is then hovering somewhere on
Safari's window, because I just clicked on a link there), but input
focus remains on MailMate.  This is a distinct change from older OS X
versions, although I can't say for sure at what point it occurred.  It's
not the trackpad's focus following the mouse cursor that I consider to
much of a problem, it's that I clicked on a link displayed in Safari
without the input focus moving to it.

With more than one Finder folder open, in the icon view mode, I am
frequently doing drag and drop copying.  The input focus almost always
goes to the target folder.  Then, if I want to move input focus back to
the source folder, sometimes clicking anywhere in the window works, and
other times only clicking on the title bar does.
Sometimes Command ` works, sometimes it does not.  And, sometimes the
"duplicate file exists" warning dialogue appears on top of all the
folder windows, sometimes it's partially hidden by one or more folder
windows, and sometimes it's buried underneath all of them.  Sometimes
I'll have to minimize all the folder windows to get at it, because
Command ` will not include it, even when it does step through everything
else.

> I've also twice hit a bizarre input problem where my keyboards are
> still recognized (I can bring down the keyboard menu and see them move
> as I type), and command keys work, and keys work in apps without input
> areas (e.g. LaunchBar). **But I can't type in any input area in any
> app, not even iTerm.** I don't know yet if that's a Mac problem, or
> due to the plethora of apps I have that intercept the keyboard stream,
> but it's _real_ annoying. Reboot is the only solution I've found.

I've seen this once..  I'm typically running just four programs -
MailMate, Safari, Terminal (several sessions) and a utility named Find
Any File.  And of course Finder...

ビリー ヨーデルマん
+1 310 839 7673
http://MIX.ORG/