[MlMt] winmail.dat attachments

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Fri Sep 11 01:20:42 EDT 2015

On 10 Sep 2015, at 16:48, David Vereschagin wrote:

> Hello, all:
>
> My MailMate used to expand winmail.dat attachments from Outlook users.
> Since the beginning of this month it's no longer doing so. The only
> thing I can think of is that some preference or key binding has been
> changed.
>
> I can't find a setting to control for this in the preferences. Is
> there a key binding that I can use reinstate the old behaviour?

Probably not. I can reproduce this and it appears to be an
argument-handling bug in the 'tnef' tool that MailMate bundles to handle
this task. Either Benny will need to work around it or get tnef fixed
and bundle the fixed version.

Specifically, tnef doesn't actually perform its "list" function unless
it is also passed the "--save-body" argument, commanding an extraction
that it won't actually perform if "--list" is also given on the command
line. The strings in one of MailMate's frameworks that appear to be the
tnef command line arguments do not include the "--save-body" argument.
The documentation for tnef does not lead one to expect this behavior.

I guess one could hack a fix into MM by moving the bundled tnef
executable and putting a wrapper script in its place, but that's the
sort of thing that comes to mind at 1 AM after a long day...