[MlMt] placement of folders?

Philip Paeps philip at trouble.is
Thu Sep 3 18:15:27 EDT 2015

On 2015-09-03 23:32:37 (+0200), Ben Hyde <bhyde at pobox.com> wrote:
> With multiple sources and multiple email clients it’s a puzzle
> seeing who’s in charge.
>
> It seems reasonable to have the server take a first crack at the
> sorting, and then use a powerful fast client to refine that.  And also
> handle wrangling vast mass-quantities quickly.
>
> Do people push sorting back to the server from Mailmate?

I let my server do the sorting.  It's a lot more powerful than my laptop
for one thing and more importantly: I use multiple clients and MailMate
won't necessarily be the first to "see" a message.

Sieve sorts my mail mostly into a mailbox for every mailing list I'm
subscribed to.  I use MailMate's "smart mailboxes" to bundle related
lists together with submailboxes giving me access to the individual
lists without having to dig through the sources.  I'm subscribed to a
lot of mailing lists I only read when I'm working on certain things (I'm
too lazy to unsubscribe and disk space is cheap) so I have a smart
mailbox for "lists I care about at the moment" which I edit when needed.

Philip

--
Philip Paeps
Senior Reality Engineer