[MlMt] placement of folders?

Wed Sep 2 15:01:40 EDT 2015

On 2 Sep 2015, at 18:56, Kearney Buskirk wrote:

> Another beginning question: where to best place Mailboxes?
>
> Mailmate Help “encourages the use of Smart Mailboxes”. If Smart
> Mailboxes are used rather than Standard, aren’t my (actual rather
> than virtual) messages then left in my Inbox? If so, seems my Inbox
> would get vast and unwieldy. In the past I’ve routed mail out of the
> Inbox into regular Mailboxes partly to keep the Inbox manageable…

I don't really want to discourage the use of IMAP mailboxes. I just
don't recommend using them for things for which smart mailboxes are
better. In particular when the Submailboxes feature can be used.

There is no best way to do things. It depends on your workflow and your
other email clients/devices. You just need to find what works best for
you and it's probably some combination of IMAP mailboxes and smart
mailboxes.

> Looks like further Standard Mailboxes can only be placed inside
> sources, and only Smart Mailboxes (beyond the standard issue of
> Standard Mailboxes) at the top level of organization?

Smart mailboxes can also be placed in the SOURCES section.

Note that a smart mailbox based on a single IMAP mailbox behaves, more
or less, like a proxy for the IMAP mailbox.

I'm regularly considering a redesign of the mailboxes outline, but I
haven't yet decided on any specifics. I'll keep your comments in mind.
(Won't happen soon.)