[MlMt] GPG and Yubikey neo (smartcard)

Wed Sep 2 10:20:31 EDT 2015

On 2 Sep 2015, at 15:17, Philip Paeps wrote:

> On 2015-09-01 12:01:04 (+0200), Benny Kjær Nielsen
> <mailinglist at freron.com> wrote:
>
>> The `gpg2` command uses `gpg-agent` as far as I understand, but to be
>> honest I don't know how or if it can be used directly. I also think
>> GPGMail, more or less, does the same as MailMate (executing the
>> `gpg2` command).
>
> Mmhm.  That's odd.  If you're just calling `gpg2`, the agent should be
> picked up.

Yes, and that's what happens for me. If I kill `gpg-agent` then it's
relaunched as soon as `gpg2` is used by MailMate.

> Is MailMate sanitising the environment before calling `gpg2` or is it
> running sandboxed?  `gpg2` looks for an agent socket in
> $GPG_AGENT_INFO.  If it exists, it should get used.

MailMate doesn't explicitly remove this variable. I'm no expert, but I
think `GPG_AGENT_INFO` is deprecated.
[This](https://www.gnupg.org/faq/whats-new-in-2.1.html) says:

"With GnuPG 2.1 the need of GPG_AGENT_INFO has been completely removed
and the variable is ignored. Instead a fixed Unix domain socket named
S.gpg-agent in the GnuPG home directory (by default ~/.gnupg) is used.
The agent is also started on demand by all tools requiring services from
the agent."

It appears my GnuPG is 2.0.28 (MacGPG), but I do have the socket file in
`~/.gnupg/`.