[MlMt] Using MailMate for 'handoff' from iDevices

Philip Paeps philip at trouble.is
Wed Oct 28 03:21:23 EDT 2015

wrote:
> On 27 Oct 2015, at 9:25, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:
>> My iPhone is far too old for me to try this feature, but as far as I
>> understand then this feature requires that the two apps are created
>> by the same developer. There's a public API for the system itself,
>> but the format used for the exchanged data is private. (I haven't
>> really read up on the details.)
>
> I’ve seen third-party apps on the phone cause the Safari hand-off
> thing to appear on the desktop, but I doubt you could go the other
> direction (where something from Apple on your phone makes a
> third-party app appear on the desktop).

I was cautiously optimistic because I've seen reports of Safari on
iPhone 'handing off' to Chrome on Mac.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/151460/is-handoff-available-for-safari-with-yosemite-and-ios8-02
   [see last comment on that page "got it working"...]

A few more reports like that turn up if you duckduckgo for keywords like
"mac handoff iphone chrome".  Some interesting results too if you look
for Firefox.  No relevant results when you look for Thunderbird though.

This may be an interesting reference:

https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src.git/+/master/components/handoff/

I casually glanced through the [surprisingly small amount!] of code
there, and it doesn't look like they're doing anything particularly
magical.  But there might be secret sauce in Chrome that's not in
Chromium.

It could be that "webpages" are special though and Mail is
insufficiently special.  Or the other way around.

I'll keep poking at this.  If I find anything, I'll share it here!

Philip

--
Philip Paeps
Senior Reality Engineer