[MlMt] duplicate messages on move to other mailbox

Fri Oct 23 17:08:17 EDT 2015

On 23 Oct 2015, at 17:08, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 23 Oct 2015, at 15:39, Jason Davies wrote:
>
>> You seem to say I would have to 'catch' it in the activity monitor
>> but that doesn't stay at the end for than a fraction of a second.
>
> Yes, you can only scroll when there is no activity. Do like this
> instead:
>
> * Open the Activity Viewer.
> * Trigger the issue.
> * Use “Help ▸ Send Server Logs”.
>
> Then I can review what happens.

Thanks for the data (off list). I should have realized earlier that this
is a known issue. I've seen it recently with an Exchange 2016 server.

This is what happens when moving a message:

~~~
16:12:17 C: J15 UID MOVE 101526 Contextsucl
16:12:17 S: [COPYUID 154 101526 1663]
16:12:17 S: * 3 EXPUNGE
16:12:17 S: * 2 EXISTS
16:12:17 Warning: Unnecessary EXISTS response received.
16:12:17 S: J15 OK MOVE completed.
~~~

The second line is a server bug. It should have been:

	16:12:17 S: * OK [COPYUID 154 101526 1663]

MailMate does not handle this bug well and kind of has its own bug when
trying to handle it. I have already tried to fix both issues and you can
try that in the latest test release of MailMate: Hold down ⌥ when
clicking “Check Now” in the Software Update preferences pane.

It's relatively new that MailMate uses UID MOVE (an optional IMAP
extension) instead of UID COPY. Therefore the problem is also relatively
new.