[MlMt] Disappearing and reappearing carriage returns in message viewer

Sherif Soliman sherif at ssoliman.com
Wed Oct 7 13:57:50 EDT 2015

Hi Benny and all,

I've been having this issue for a while and was finally motivated to
document it and seek a solution.

Sometimes I will open a message and it will look like the viewer has
truncated some carriage returns. So if there are several paragraphs with
some spacing between them, the spacing will be gone and the paragraphs
will be squished against each other. Then I will open the message some
other time, or do something that causes the window to reload the
message, and it will display properly.

See the screenshots for an example.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p26vlxkpyvez2wm/Screenshot%202015-10-07%2012.34.23.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xy8ccmtbs2v3t0r/Screenshot%202015-10-07%2012.34.31.png?dl=0

It's not easy to cause the refresh. Closing the window and opening the
message again doesn't do it. To take the screenshots I had to have
distortion mode on, then turned it off while the message window was
open. I imagine the reverse order would also work.

For what it's worth, I have a defaults setting enabled to handle
automatic unwrapping when replying to texts. The one from here:

http://lists.freron.com/mailmate/2014-June/002722.html

`defaults read com.freron.MailMate MmAutomaticUnwrapEnabled` returns 1.

I tried setting it to `-bool NO` and relaunched MailMate, and the
problem persisted.

And also for what *that's* worth, that setting no longer works. i.e.,
when replying to messages, the quoted text does not rewrap to the width
of the window, it is hard wrapped. So I'm leaving that setting set to 0
for now.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Sherif