[MlMt] Can a pop account be used with mailmate as well as IMAP accounts

Gary Hull YH82d7dfU at yandex.com
Fri Nov 27 20:31:24 EST 2015

A problem with this idea is that Google has security procedures that cut
off automated access to accounts at the drop of a hat. I constantly
noticed that particular Gmail accounts were a week out of date in
MailMate (or two months, in the case of accounts I rarely used), and I
had to go into the webmail interface for Gmail to reset it and get it
working again. I'm not sure all the things that trigger this, but for
instance, I live overseas and use VPNs from time to time. If I have
MailMate running all the time, and forget to kill it before using a VPN,
MailMate will attempt a sync, and Google will notice a change in
location, and boom!, you're locked out. It's no problem if you're using
the web interface, since Google will just throw up something to confirm,
and then let you in. But MailMate just gets an error saying "666 Take a
hike, hacker" and then gets locked out. Also, if you change your
computer in any way, like adding a hard disk, or adding and detaching a
backup hard disk.  Or if you use a system cleanup utility. Google really
has a hair trigger. I used to have several Gmail accounts that I would
consolidate by having a couple of main Gmail account gather the lesser
accounts together. Even within Gmail itself this would happen! Gmail
would cut off one Gmail account's access of another's!

I have a few unimportant Gmail accounts that use gmail.com and not my
own domains, and I tend to keep them set to offline and then manually
sync them from time to time. Other than that I've completely stopped
using Google mail because of these hassles.