[MlMt] selecting a message marks it as read

Shoshanna Green shoshannag at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 09:40:25 EST 2015

I don't use the preview pane, since I prefer to see each message in its
own window -- but I think what must have happened was that the preview
pane got accidentally opened to a height of like one pixel. I was
noticing some occasional what looked like display artifacts down there,
but I didn't think much of them and didn't make the connection until you
mentioned the preview pane. (I tend to forget it even exists, since in
thirty years of email I've never used one.) So it wasn't opened enough
to actually be a visible preview, but was opened enough to count as
"reading" the message.

Sorry for the false report, all. Carry on.

On 14 Nov 2015, at 1:16, Gary Hull wrote:

> The way it's always worked for me, and continues to, is that 1 second
> after selecting a message it's marked as read. I use the preview at
> bottom layout, and that's where I read messages. It makes sense that
> when I select a message and its content is displayed in the preview
> pane, that MailMate would assume after a certain period of time that
> it's been read. Of course, really reading something takes more than 1
> second, but much of the time my "reading" is simply confirming that I
> don't want to read messages. Knowing Benny, if you ask him, you can
> probably change the time delay with a Terminal command.
>
> On 14 Nov 2015, at 7:35, Shoshanna Green wrote:

>>> Now I'm on another machine that's still running r5168, and not
>>> seeing this behavior here, fwiw.
>>
>> ...and now I'm back on the original machine and it's not happening
>> any more here. Never mind?

Shoshanna Green
shoshannag at gmail.com