[MlMt] Oddity in parsing Subject.

Wed Nov 11 02:17:21 EST 2015

On 11 Nov 2015, at 0:11, Kee Hinckley wrote:

> I sent mail to our listserv with the subject: "Kee: Working from home
> Wednesday"
> The listserv tacked the list name in front, so it said "[Jellystone]
> Kee: Working from home Wednesday"
> MailMate displayed the subject as "Kee: [Jellystone] Working from home
> Wednesday"
>
> I'm guessing this is an attempt to cleanup things like "Re:" and
> "Fwd:" and put them where they belong. So I'm not sure it's a bug
> worth fixing. But it took me a while to figure out. I had to look at
> the raw message.

Your analysis is correct. Some day I might change the code to use a
fixed set of prefixes or simply make it configurable. (Low level, I
could probably quickly add this for you if you like.)

Ideally, all email clients would only use `Re:` and `Fwd:` and then
localize them for display purposes only. Unfortunately, a lot of email
clients got that wrong, in particular, Outlook.

I've written a very detailed [blog
post](http://blog.freron.com/2013/re-the-complexity-of-a-simple-prefix/)
on this subject if you wonder why prefixes are not a simple problem.