[MlMt] MailMate Hanging during PGP sig verification

Scott A. McIntyre mailmate at howyagoin.net
Wed May 20 15:00:20 EDT 2015

Hi,

On 20 May 2015, at 23:30, Allie Martin wrote:

> On May 20, 2015 03:10:19 am GMT-5, "Benny Kjær Nielsen"
> <mailinglist at freron.com> wrote:
>
>> I believe the delay is caused by `gpg2` checking an online server to
>> find a public key. This is configurable (I cannot remember the
>> setting, but you can google it). Ideally, MailMate should handle this
>> in a separate thread.
>
> I see.  I’ll look at the settings.
>
> The thing though is that the hang is really long and I eventually give
> in and force quit.  If I disable verification, read the message and
> then reopen the message with verification enabled, the hang doesn’t
> occur.

For what it is worth, that sounds atypical to the observed behaviour
I've experienced.  Whilst there is a delay, it's usually no more than a
few seconds.  I would love it if this was in another thread and happened
in the background, but, it's typically only for keys not already on your
keyring, and here is relatively brief.

You may want to check your MacGPG installation and, in particular, how
you have key servers set in gpg.conf.

I'm using:

keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net
keyserver-options auto-key-retrieve

But there may be others who have suggestions on better settings.

Scott