[MlMt] giving up - MailMate crash - won't synchronize

Helen Holzgrafe helen at holzgrafe.com
Mon May 18 14:40:30 EDT 2015

Hi Benny,

I no longer have the offending files. Once I got them all imported
(which did take nearly 3 weeks), I deleted the originals.  They were
.mbox files in a POP mail account on my personal mail server, not an
outside service, and I was using Postbox. These files had been around
for many years and were originally in Eudora.

.mbox files do some checksums on the size of each message as well as
having special lines that delimit the individual messages.

As I corrected these files I found that some were missing the delimiting
lines, some were missing bits of the message thus making the checksums
come out wrong.

In all cases, it was clear the files were old enough to have had some
bit rot, and had been through at least one minor disk failure that
likely removed parts of the file when disk blocks were lost. One message
clearly had its header mixed inside its actual message.  One was missing
8 bytes and messed up its checksum as a result.

So, my best help for you is to have you get (or create) some .mbox files
somehow and then mess them up in these sorts of ways and then try to
import them and see what happens.  I suspect that you might be able to
get Mailmate to at least detect these kinds of corrupt files and react a
bit better than it does now (i.e. give an error message rather than hang
indefinitely).

Good luck,

-Helen