[MlMt] a few questions from a (former) Mailsmith user

Michael Dunston mdunston at music.vt.edu
Mon May 18 10:13:11 EDT 2015

On 18 May 2015, at 7:35, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> I can see you already got some of your questions answered. I'll try to
> deal with the rest, but let me know if I missed something.
>
> On 17 May 2015, at 22:25, Michael Dunston wrote:
>
>> First, is there a “paste as quoted” command, or pre-existing way
>> to combine the functions of “paste” and “quoting -> increase
>> level” into a single key command?
>
> No, but I'm open for adding it as a variant of “Edit ▸ Paste”,
> e.g., bound to ⌥⌘V by default. I can see Apple Mail does not
> appear to have any paste-variants. What was the shortcut used in
> MailSmith?

Thank you for considering this!   The “paste as quoted” command in
Mailsmith was “option+command+v” and something I use often when
trying to summarize/reformat threaded discussions when new people are
added to the discussion.

>> Is there any way to re-wrap quoted or body text, preferably with a
>> user-defined column width and indentation options?
>
> No, and there shouldn't be (well, except perhaps for an unwrapping
> function). Wrapping lines should be taken care of by the receiving
> email client based on the preferences of the recipient. The sending
> email client should use “format=flowed” to avoid hard-wrapping
> lines and this is what MailMate does. Any email clients not
> understanding “format=flowed” (shame on them) are going to see it
> as hard-wrapped lines (72 chars).

Understood, thank you.  The round-trip to BBEdit should solve this need
for occasional reformatting.

>> Is there a menu item, or more specifically a key shortcut, for
>> copying messages to a mailbox - similar to the “Move to
>> mailbox…” function?
>
> No, but you can hold down ⌥ when hitting enter (using “Move to
> Mailbox...”) to create a copy instead.

Thanks.  This is something I do infrequently, but that will be very
helpful for when a copy to another account mailbox is needed.

>> Regarding replies, is there reply setting to place the quoted text at
>> the top (with the insertion point after), for inline (or
>> bottom-posting) replies?
>
> Default behavior is defined in the Signatures preferences pane, but
> MailMate also learns your habits if you use the “Signature” menu
> in the Composer. This way your preferred style can depend on the
> recipient. You can reset what MailMate has learned by clicking
> “Reset Usage History” in the Signatures preferences pane.

Interesting, this might explain why it seems to work one way sometimes
and a different way other times.  I’ll look into that.. Thanks again!