[MlMt] a few questions from a (former) Mailsmith user

Mon May 18 07:35:44 EDT 2015

I can see you already got some of your questions answered. I'll try to
deal with the rest, but let me know if I missed something.

On 17 May 2015, at 22:25, Michael Dunston wrote:

> First, is there a “paste as quoted” command, or pre-existing way
> to combine the functions of “paste” and “quoting -> increase
> level” into a single key command?

No, but I'm open for adding it as a variant of “Edit ▸ Paste”,
e.g., bound to ⌥⌘V by default. I can see Apple Mail does not appear
to have any paste-variants. What was the shortcut used in MailSmith?

> Is there any way to re-wrap quoted or body text, preferably with a
> user-defined column width and indentation options?

No, and there shouldn't be (well, except perhaps for an unwrapping
function). Wrapping lines should be taken care of by the receiving email
client based on the preferences of the recipient. The sending email
client should use “format=flowed” to avoid hard-wrapping lines and
this is what MailMate does. Any email clients not understanding
“format=flowed” (shame on them) are going to see it as hard-wrapped
lines (72 chars).

> Is there a menu item, or more specifically a key shortcut, for copying
> messages to a mailbox - similar to the “Move to mailbox…”
> function?

No, but you can hold down ⌥ when hitting enter (using “Move to
Mailbox...”) to create a copy instead.

> Regarding replies, is there reply setting to place the quoted text at
> the top (with the insertion point after), for inline (or
> bottom-posting) replies?

Default behavior is defined in the Signatures preferences pane, but
MailMate also learns your habits if you use the “Signature” menu in
the Composer. This way your preferred style can depend on the recipient.
You can reset what MailMate has learned by clicking “Reset Usage
History” in the Signatures preferences pane.