[MlMt] trying out the new spotlight integration...

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at gmail.com
Mon May 18 05:39:21 EDT 2015

On 18 May 2015, at 11:29, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 18 May 2015, at 10:38, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
>
>> I noticed the spotlight functions are in latest alpha. Needed to try
>> it out ;)
>>
>> FYI: I did the symbolic link thing, putting it in ~/Messages.
>
> For the record, I'm working on making this easier via a GUI setting
> since I don't really want anyone doing this manually.

No worries - I know i'm living on the bleeding edge ;)

>> ...at what time can I expect it to start showing up in spotlight
>> results ?
>
> In theory, OS X should start indexing as soon as MailMate has been
> launched and the Spotlight importer has been detected.

Didn't seem to happen.

Running mdimport ~/Messages made it show up though - it is still
indexing my ~500.000 messages :)

>> Any special keywords I need to use to have the search kick in ?
>
> No. MailMate parsers text content of plain text body parts and the
> address headers. That should make it possible to make a search such
> as:
>
> 	author:benny recipient:max spotlight

it works ;) woohoo.

Preview of the messages takes a bit to show up, but its really nice.

So, in another thread you said it was possible to directly respond to
mails found in spotlight - how ?

Opening the mail works - any way to get from the single message window
to show the message in context ? (i.e. its threads)

> But I'm actually not sure exactly how the Spotlight syntax works.
> Documentation seems to be scattered or I haven't found the correct
> link yet. Here is one interesting
> [link](https://support.apple.com/kb/PH14172?locale=en_US).
>
> You can also search via the command line using `mdfind` or see what
> has been indexed for a given file using `mdls`.

Yes, this definitely opens up a lot of interesting things!

does it support searching via imap/mailmate tags ? Does not seem to find
hits on tags - but that could just be it haven't completed index yet.

/max
http://about.me/maxandersen