[MlMt] giving up - MailMate crash - won't synchronize

Thomas Floeren thfl at me.com
Thu May 14 22:38:12 EDT 2015

> On 15 May 2015, at 3:20, Kee Hinckley <kee+freron at hinckley.com> wrote:
>
> I'd have mail going back to 83 of it weren't for a disk crash in the late 80's. I don't keep all my incoming mail, but I do keep all my outbound mail.
>
> I frequently use it for when I run across someone whose name sounds familiar. Like I had a resume come across my desk a few years ago and I found that in the late 90's he'd reported some bugs in a software service I ran, and in the early 90's I'd reported some bugs in a software product he'd wrote.

OK, I have to admit, if I have my mail archive outsourced, I don’t get any autocompletion or forward-typing, when typing-in the address for a new mail. Mileages obviously do vary here (comfort vs having a sleek mail database).

> It's kind of like a personal LinkedIn.
>
> I used to have most of it in local mailboxes. But when I switch to mailmate, I uploaded it all to the IMAP server. Which has the added benefit of giving me both a local copy and an off-site backup.

I hope / I’m sure it’s not your only backup.

But thanks, I now understand a bit better this "let all in the mailbox" approach, which seems to be not uncommon.

--
Tom