[MlMt] giving up - MailMate crash - won't synchronize

Marco Carmosino marco at ntime.org
Thu May 14 13:40:23 EDT 2015

Do these programs (thunderbird etc) store messages in mbox format? If
so, piping the mbox files in and out of the "formail" program (part of
procmail, it forces messages into mbox format using some heuristics) can
fix at least some, perhaps even most corruption. Then, you can diff the
formail output and see what messages were dropped and fix those
manually.

I had to recover a bunch of email archives with corruption a couple
years ago and this worked well. Formail can also split mboxes into
uniform-sized files, so you can take on this task in bite-sized chunks,
so you can do this 100 messages at a time or so.

I lost the scripts that I used to do this but here are some links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procmail
http://linuxcommand.org/man_pages/formail1.html

Formail comes with mac os x.

best,