[MlMt] Sorting organize-by-thread

Thu Mar 26 17:26:17 EDT 2015

On 26 Mar 2015, at 16:54, Kee Hinckley wrote:

> I know I've said this before, and I know it's on the backlog
> somewhere, but if I could get *one* change in MailMate, it would be to
> sort threads by the most-recent date, not the oldest. The fact is I
> have way too many messages in my inbox (10K). If someone replies to a
> message from a week ago, I'm simply not going to see it if I have
> threading turned on.

It should be sorted to the position of the newest message in the thread
-- and a grey dot is shown if the thread is collapsed.

But within a thread then the oldest message is at the top. This is
because MailMate uses strict threading (parent-child hierarchy) which
cannot really be reversed (other than the sorting of the root messages).

> Because that doesn't work, I can't use threading in my main window. I
> have a side window that shows the thread (actually, common subjects)
> of the currently selected item. At least that makes it fairly easy for
> me to browse the thread, even if it leaves the main mail window overly
> cluttered. I know, I'm asking for a feature that helps enable my bad
> habits. :)

:-) The short term plan is to offer a different threading mode which I
usually name “group threading”. This is a single level threading
which allows the children to be sorted in reverse. It would probably
also allow different conditions for threading, e.g., identical subjects
which is another popular request.

> I don't know if you're interested in going the bid-on-feature route,
> but I'll fire off $100 to Freron Software if this feature becomes
> available.

:-) I can only tell you that this feature is not far down on my list.
The top item is better handling of HTML (and I don't mean an HTML
editor) and I've actually finally started working on this.

I have, by the way, created a very primitive way to state your “most
wanted feature”: http://freron.com/subscribe