[MlMt] The Auto-apply Rules Strike Back

Mon Mar 23 16:26:15 EDT 2015

On 23 Mar 2015, at 21:20, David O'Donnell wrote:

> The mailbox where the newsletter messages are moved has a type “
> ⒸⒶ” rule with the condition “All” are true: “Date is not
> within last 10 days” and action of “Move to Mailbox” to Deleted
> Messages.
>
> I’m sure I must be missing something obvious.

It's not obvious. Date-based conditions in rules like this are special,
because they are never triggered. This is because rules are only checked
when a message arrives in a mailbox. In this case, this happens before
the date-condition is true.

The workaround is to make a smart mailbox with the date condition such
that the message does arrive in a mailbox when it matches the date
condition. The rule in this mailbox should then only have the “Move to
Mailbox” action (without any conditions). A side-effect is that this
smart mailbox is always empty.

Yeah, it's not very intuitive and I am of course considering how to
improve this. It comes up relatively often.