[MlMt] The Auto-apply Rules Strike Back

David O'Donnell david at davidbodonnell.com
Mon Mar 23 16:20:04 EDT 2015

It seems that my enthusiastic statement a while back that sorting and
trimming rules for a Smart Mailbox were working was premature. *Sorting*
mail from INBOX→destination→show in a smart mailbox works fine, but
the “delete if over X days old” trimming rule isn’t. If I apply
the trimming rule to the destination mailbox (because I don’t want
these messages filling up my INBOX), I can apply it manually and it
works but it is never executed automatically.

In short:
I created a Smart Mailbox called “NextDraft” that is a view on a
folder in one of my IMAP accounts (Mailboxes tab, match on Any of the
following mailboxes, filtered to the specific mailbox I set up).
On the Conditions tab, I have “All” set for “From ▸ Name is
(listtname).”
On the Rules tab, I have a type “ ⒸⒶ” rule with the condition
“All” are true: “From ▸ Name is (listtname)” and action of
“Move to Mailbox” to the destination.

The mailbox where the newsletter messages are moved has a type “
ⒸⒶ” rule with the condition “All” are true: “Date is not
within last 10 days” and action of “Move to Mailbox” to Deleted
Messages.

I’m sure I must be missing something obvious.

--
![](http://fates.org/2014-09-dbo-sig.png)