[MlMt] Red Dot in the read/unread column?

Sun Mar 15 08:29:39 EDT 2015

On 14 Mar 2015, at 23:59, Kee Hinckley wrote:

> On 14 Mar 2015, at 12:43, Kee Hinckley wrote:
>
>> These items appear to be things that I've deleted or refiled from my
>> phone. But when I bring up mailmate, they are still there, but with a
>> red dot. This seems to be a new behavior.

It's not.

>> Does it have something to do with my server (perhaps, I'm not sure)
>> marking items for delete rather than moving them to trash?

The server does as its told. The behavior is related to the email
clients used.

>> How do I fix it?

I'm not sure what is best, but I can explain what the problem is.

> I've verified that they are indeed marked for deletion on the server.
> So I assume for some reason my phone is marking for delete instead of
> moving to trash.

That is correct. IMAP was not really designed to be used with a trash
mailbox. Instead you were intended to mark emails for deletion (using
the `\Deleted` IMAP keyword) and then explicitly expunge them. Often
email clients also offered to do this automatically when closing a
mailbox.

When moving an email (e.g., to the trash) then what really happens is:

* The message is copied to the destination mailbox.
* The message is marked for deletion in the source mailbox (red dot
state in MailMate).
* The message is expunged.

Some email clients mark for deletion and hide the messages from the user
and then do the expunge later on. Your problem depends on how your other
email clients define “later on”.

In MailMate there is no “later on”. Expunging is done immediately
after deleting.

MailMate also supports the old style though since one can create a tag
for the `\Deleted` keyword and use that to delete messages. Expunging
can then be done using the
[`expungeDeletedMessages:`](http://manual.mailmate-app.com/key_binding_selectors#mailbox_actions)
key binding selector. This also requires the following hidden setting to
always show deleted messages:

	defaults write com.freron.MailMate MmShowDeletedMessages -bool YES

Which leads me to your last comment:

> I'm not seeing any way to hide them in MailMate though.

You need to always hide them and this is not currently possible. By
default, they are hidden for any mailboxes based on “All Messages”
and the universal mailboxes, but they are not hidden for anything based
on IMAP mailboxes. You could add a condition to each IMAP mailbox to
hide these messages, but that would be a hassle.

I'm still considering how to improve/change this, but at least you know
how it works now :-)

Oh, and you might have noticed that MailMate some times draws the entire
line in the messages outline in red. This happens when deleting a
message permanently -- it'll be red until it has been deleted on the
server (and then it'll disappear completely). You would most often see
this in the trash mailbox of an IMAP account.