[MlMt] Nervous about integration with my smartphone

Allie Martin amd at maclink.me
Sun Mar 1 00:12:35 EST 2015

On 28 Feb 2015, at 23:10, Sparky Doosan wrote:

> But all that said, I confess I'm nervous. My experience in the past,
> maybe it sounds familiar to somebody, is that the mail handling on my
> local computer will become such a part of normal workflows... using
> anything else will shortly be entirely unsatisfactory.

This should be a reason to go with MailMate rather than not. :-)

It will not break your WebMail as an alternative anyway.

> In the form of a question, do you use both MailMate and also some IMAP
> thing from your smartphone? I'm not really concerned about a quick
> check-in on someone else's computer and browser... I just want to
> integrate my computer and my phone, and don't think MailMate provides
> a one-stop answer(?). If you've solved this concern please tell me
> (us) how you did it?

I don't know if you're using an Android phone or an iPhone.  I find the
Android offerings to be superior for email.  Be that as it may, I now
use an iPhone and find the email clients to have different
strengths/weaknesses, with none really doing all the essentials.

The main thing to definitely sort out when setting up your Smartphone
app to tango with MailMate is to ensure that they use the same Archive,
Sent, Junk and Trash folders.  While you can manually configure this in
MailMate, you may not be able to do so with your Smartphone client.  It
would be ideal to have MailMate, your Smartphone app and your WebMail
use the same folders, but this is not always the case and depends on the
configurability of your webmail/smartphone client.

The other thing to sort out would be filtering.  My WebMail offers good
filtering and so does MailMate, provided MailMate is pretty much always
running on one of my machines.  So whatever filtering I can do using my
WebMail interface, I'll do.  The other, more sophisticated filtering,
I'll do with MailMate and try to keep it running most of the time.

After that, it's pretty much downhill from there.  Whatever you do in
one app will be reflected in the other.

Good luck!

—
Curtis acm