[MlMt] IMAP date issue

Wed Jun 24 15:15:45 EDT 2015

On 24 Jun 2015, at 20:56, Kevin Miller wrote:

> I have a pretty large collection of email going back to 1992 that I've
> moved between IMAP servers. Mailmate doesn't seem to be handling it
> well.
>
> Malemute is reporting the date of the move as the date of the message.

Hmm, I think that would only happen if headers have been added to the
message when it was moved -- but I also think I've seen such behavior (a
bug in my opinion) with Gmail. I seem to recall I also tried to work
around it...

> By contrast, Thunderbird handles this correctly and has (sometimes)
> been able to repair the mailboxes so that Apple's Mail.app views them
> correctly.

That would indicate that Thunderbird changes the headers of the messages
-- or maybe (slightly more likely) the messages were corrupted in some
way that Thunderbird fixed.

> Mail.app has the wrong date received, but reports the correct date
> sent.
>
> Mailmate has the wrong date received and reports "not available" in
> gray for the date sent.

That sounds like wrong Received headers have been added to the messages
(as in the Gmail “bug”). The problem with the sent date might be a
bug in MailMate or MailMate is unable to parse some non-standard date
header. The latter is not unlikely even though it already handles a
ridiculous number of non-standard date variants.

> I see that this is a known problem with IMAP. I'm not sure I have the
> skill to run a server-side program like imapsync, but I'm open to
> anything that might resolve this.

One or more example messages should make it possible for me to reproduce
the problem. You can send it to me off list.