[MlMt] Migrating from Postbox

Thu Jun 11 10:00:27 EDT 2015

On 11 Jun 2015, at 14:59, Vincent Acheson wrote:

> Given Postbox's Thunderbird roots and data structures, is there a way
> get MailMate to import the mbox files from Postbox?

It's been a while since I tried, but at least in theory “File ▸
Import Messages” should be able to handle mbox files. It might even be
able to recreate the hierarchy of mailboxes, but I'm not sure that ever
worked for Postbox files.

Note that MailMate does not itself support local emails. It'll want you
to import to an IMAP account to let it upload the messages. You can
create a dummy offline IMAP account if you like, but note that there are
[caveats](https://freron.lighthouseapp.com/projects/58672/tickets/733-archive-on-mac-only#ticket-733-3).
Especially if you move online IMAP messages to this offline IMAP
account.

Also note that 17GB might be a bit too much for MailMate to handle
although the real bottleneck is the number of messages. Depending on
your hardware it's probably best to stay well below 1 million messages.
In other words, don't import everything in one go.

Thanks for considering MailMate.