[MlMt] message in own window: moving and deleting

Shoshanna Green shoshannag at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 12:54:14 EDT 2015

Is there any chance of functionality being improved for working with
messages open in a separate window, as described in the message below,
from February? Benny, you indicated on Feb 24 that you would be working
on it at some point…

Oddly, although the Move to Mailbox… command is greyed out, I can in
fact move a message that I have open in a separate window to another
mailbox by using the keys I've bound to moveToMailbox: and then a
specific mailbox. (Is that new since February? I'm not sure whether I
tested that then.) However, once I've done that, the message I've just
moved is still open in its window and I can't advance to the next one in
the mailbox it was originally in; I have to manually close it, manually
select the next one, and manually open that one.

I understand that "next message" and "previous message" are hard to
define when a message has been moved to a new folder but is still open
in a separate window: do they mean the message that used to be "next" or
the message that is "next" in the new mailbox? Since I'm usually working
through my inbox when I'm doing this, I want them to refer to the
original mailbox (the inbox); given the logical incoherence this could
cause, I'd be very happy with the next message in the original mailbox
auto-opening in the place of the message I've just moved.

Also, with a message open in a separate window, the Next Unread Message
and Previous Unread Message commands are also greyed out, and neither
the keys I've bound to nextUnreadMessage: and previousUnreadMessage:,
nor the standard built-ins of option-command-downarrow and
option-command-uparrow work. (Even though Next Message and Previous
Message do work, as do both the standard option-downarrow and
option-uparrow and the keys I've bound to those commands.) Instead,
option-command-downarrow and option-command-uparrow scroll the message
to its end or beginning, respectively, and the keys I've bound to the
commands do nothing.

Still hopeful,

Shoshanna Green

On 21 Feb 2015, at 10:08, Shoshanna Green wrote:

> When I have a message open in its own window (Widescreen layout with
> the message list pulled all the way to the right), the Move to
> Mailbox… command is unavailable (greyed out). This is both odd,
> since Move to Archive, Move to Junk, and Delete are all still
> available, and awkward. But I need to have most messages saved in
> specific folders, not just generically archived, so that I can find
> them when I'm not using MailMate. Can Move to Mailbox… be made
> available? (And, huh, Go to Mailbox is also unavailable, though that's
> less critical in this context.)
>
> In my preferred workflow, I'd open a message in a separate window,
> read it, move it to the appropriate mailbox (or archive or delete it),
> and the next message in the folder would open (in its separate window)
> as the moved (or archived or deleted) one disappeared. Next best would
> be if the moved one remained visible in its existing window, so that I
> can just hit whatever key I've bound to "next message" and have it
> appear.
>
> The latter is what happens if I archive a message that's displayed in
> a separate window. However, deleting it makes the message window
> disappear, and locating the next message in the message list so I can
> open and read it takes an awkward moment, so this is the worst option
> of the three UI behaviors. Moving, archiving, and deleting all seem
> like variations of the same action to me — move this message that
> I'm looking at somewhere else — so it's weird to me that the UI
> reacts differently for each: moving a message is disallowed, archiving
> leaves it visible in its existing window, deleting closes the window.

Shoshanna Green
shoshannag at gmail.com